UNIIQ invests risk capital in West Holland-based academic spin-offs, startups and existing SMEs with disruptive innovations, thereby improving access to growth capital. As a collaboration between Erasmus MC, TU Delft, Leiden University and InnovationQuarter, UNIIQ is able to assume the early-stage risk and actively support promising businesses in realising their ambitions.
What UNIIQ offers entrepreneurs:
- Funding of up to € 300,000 in the proof-of-concept phase;
- Milestone based funding;
- Investment instrument is a convertible loan which
- is redeemed over a three-year period; or
- can be converted on the valuation of a follow-up investor, minus 25%;
- An interest rate of 8% (4% payable and 4% accrued);
- Support with financial and strategic issues from a team of experienced investment managers;
- Access to a network of investors and financiers who can provide capital for the company’s further development.
What UNIIQ asks of entrepreneurs:
- The capital should be used by the company for the technical and market validation of a technological innovation;
- Financing is provided for a period of at least 12 months during which a realistic validation result can be achieved, making it possible to attract follow-up funding (or cash-flow positive growth);
- The innovation must offer unique competitive advantages that form the foundation for sustainable growth opportunities;
- A strong and ambitious team;
- The company must hold the relevant intellectual property rights on the basis of ownership or an exclusive licence;
- The company must be located in West Holland;
- UNIIQ invests in independent companies where the initiators themselves take the entrepreneurial risks: there is no project-based financing. UNIIQ can, however, invest in making spin-off innovations independent of existing companies;
- Impact investments are made with the intention to generate positive, measurable , social and environmental outcomes alongside financial return;
- TRL phase 3-5;
- The applicant must meet the EU criteria for SMEs.